How to make a Wireshark sample on a FRITZ!Box
Wireshark is the world's foremost network protocol analyzer. It lets you see what's happening on your network at a microscopic level. It is the de facto (and often de jure) standard across many industries and educational institutions.
For the purpose of diagnostics, FRITZ!Box can record all data packets in Wireshark format when the FRITZ!Box is configured as a router. The collected data will help edpnet helpdesk to find the cause of a problem much quicker. This is why it is highly recommended to generate a Wireshark file on your FRITZ!Box and provide it to edpnet support.
|NOTE! Multiple traces can be started at the same time. Traces may contain your confidential passwords.|
How to perform a test
1. Enter the adress http://fritz.box/support.lua in a webbrowser.
2. Click Packet Traces.
3. Click Start next to Internet connection and save the file to the hard disk.
4. Reproduce the issue (f.e. connect a telephony device and make a few test calls).
5. Press Stop or Stop All Traces to end the trace.
|NOTE! If you want to end the trace, do not interrupt the saving of the file on the hard drive in the browser. Click the corresponding Stop button instead!
Click the Refresh button if the buttons to stop the trace are not displayed.
Now the file is ready to be sent to edpnet for analysis:
- If you already have an open case at edpnet helpdesk, attach the files to your ticket.
- Send the files by e-mail to edpnet.