How to set up a port forwarding on a FRITZ!Box
You can configure static port forwarding to allow other users in the Internet to access certain server services (e.g., HTTP server, remote maintenance server) or Internet applications (e.g., online games) in your FRITZ!Box home network.
If you have a device which needs to be fully accessed on the Internet as well as in the LAN network (e.g., e-mail server, some firewalls), you need to activate an exposed host (sometimes wrongly associated with DMZ) and redirect all traffic to your device.
Requirements & Restrictions
- The FRITZ!Box must obtain a public IPv4 address.
NOTE! The FRITZ!Box is not accessible from the Internet over IPv4 when used on a DS-Lite (Dual-Stack Lite) connection. When DS-Lite is active, the status IPv4 over DS Lite is displayed under Connections on the Overview page of the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- The advanced mode must be enabled on the user interface of your FRITZ!Box.
What to prepare before the port forwarding setup
- Determine the ports and IP protocols.
Consult the manual or ask the manufacturer to find out which ports and/or IP protocols the Internet application or server service uses to accept incoming connections.
- Configure the computer's firewall.
If the server service or Internet application is installed on a computer with its own firewall (e.g., Windows firewall), you must also configure the firewall:
Configure the computer's firewall according to the manufacturer's instructions so that the server service or Internet application can be accessed from the FRITZ!Box home network.
How to set up a port forwarding
- Go to the interface of your FRITZ!Box by entering http://fritz.box/ in your webbrowser.
- Click Internet in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click Permit Access in the Internet menu.
- Click on the Port Forwarding tab.
- Click New Port Forwarding.
Select Other applications from the drop-down list Port forwarding enabled for.
Enter a name of your choice for the port sharing rule in the Name field.
Select the IP protocol (TCP, UDP, ESP or GRE) required by the server service or Internet application from the drop-down list Protocol.
NOTE! The IP protocols ESP and GRE are only required for VPN server services.
- Enter the number(s) of the ports to be shared:
- In order to enable port sharing for a single port, enter the number of the port used by the server service or Internet application to accept connections in the From port and to Port (or through port) fields.
- In order to enable port sharing for a port range:
- Enter the number of the first port used by the server service or Internet application to accept connections in the From port field, and enter the last port in the to port (or through port) field.
- Enter the number of the first port used by the server service or Internet application to accept connections in the to Port field.
- Select the network device (e.g., a computer) with the server service or network device that you are setting up port sharing for:
- If the network device's IP address is dynamically assigned by the FRITZ!Box's DHCP server, select the name of the network device from the drop-down list to computer.
- If the network device has a static IP address:
- Select "Enter the IP address manually" from the drop-down list to computer.
- Enter the IP address of the network device.
- Click OK to save the settings.